My latest book is The One Who Swam With The Fishes.
"A mesmerizing account of the well-known story of Matsyagandha ... and her transformation from fisherman’s daughter to Satyavati, Santanu’s royal consort and the Mother/Progenitor of the Kuru clan." - Hindustan Times
"Themes of fate, morality and power overlay a subtle and essential feminism to make this lyrical book a must-read. If this is Madhavan’s first book in the Girls from the Mahabharata series, there is much to look forward to in the months to come." - Open Magazine
"A gleeful dollop of Blytonian magic ... Reddy Madhavan is also able to tackle some fairly sensitive subjects such as identity, the love of and karmic ties with parents, adoption, the first sexual encounter, loneliness, and my favourite, feminist rage." - Scroll
Sign up for my newsletter: The Internet Personified
12 October 2004
The Fling Commandments
A brief period of indulging one's impulses. See Synonyms at binge.
Informal. A usually brief attempt or effort: You take a fling at it.
A brief sexual or romantic relationship.
1) Thou shalt determine the nature of the relationship before thou proceed. (Specify: one night stand, short term, long term)
2) Thou shall abide by the "no-kiss-and-tell" rule.
3) Thou shalt not pretend nothing ever happened, unless the other person wants it that way.
4) Thou shalt not cheapen nor demean thy partner in any way or form.
5) Thou shalt own a form of contraceptive (In other words: No glove, no love.)
6) Thou shalt not leave hickeys/love bites on any normally visible area of the body.
7) Thou shalt not bring another date to meeting with said fling, unless fling is informed that it was a one-night stand prior to hook-up and not a fling.
8) Thou shalt not diss the friends of the fling.
9) Thou shalt not make any promises, thou does not intend to keep. (Best not to promise at all)
10) Honour, respect and be honest with thy fling and thou shalt be assured a place in their hearts.