What is a “friendzone”? According to Urban Dictionary, it is:
What you attain after you fail to impress a woman you're attracted to. Usually initiated by the woman saying, "You're such a good friend". Usually associated with long days of suffering and watching your love interest hop from one bad relationship to another. Verb tense is "Friend-ed"
Does anyone else see an essential problem with this? I see loads.
1. The word “friend zone” is often used in a negative way, meaning that men and women can’t be friends unless it’s a consolation prize.
2. Um, so, THANKS, dudes, unless you can bang me, I’m a bitch?
3. I’m sorry that I didn’t realize that every time you were funny or nice to me you were basically auditioning to be a love interest.
4. I’m sorry also that moaning about how you got “friend zoned” makes everyone say “poor you” a lot.
5. Let’s get this clear: romantic love is great. Being attracted to someone is also great. You know what beats all those things? Friendship.
6. It leads to a lot of problematic areas. What is “leading on”? How do you define someone being a “tease”? These grey areas are the same ones that sometimes lead to sexual assault.
PS: TL;DR? To drive home the point better than I did, here’s a lovely comic on Friend Zone girl.