Why I ask myself, am I, a reasonably intelligent, reasonably attractive young woman, with no obvious psychopathic tendencies, still single? I don't even know if it's by choice or compulsion anymore. Sure, I meet men who seem to be interested in me, but there's always something lacking, something that doesn't match up to Mr. Designer Stubble Guy who's in my head.
My Daily Romantic Horoscope For Singles (yes, I admit it freely, I subscribe to this, it gets delivered to my inbox every day) said this today: When's the last time you made a list of exactly what you're looking for? A delicious equal, someone who understands your independence, a smarty-pants, someone exotic -- clarify your hopes and watch it happen.
Okay, I said to myself, my way sure as hell doesn't seem to be working, let's depend on the stars shall we? So here it is, forever recorded for posterity, the list of things that I want in a man. (Completely self-indulgent, I know, but hell, I am a compulsive confessor after all. You knew that before you started reading this post. So I can't help it if some of my posts are a little more cringingly self-absorbed than the others). Right, back to topic. Here goes:
1) I want someone who 'gets' me, who knows what I'm saying even when I can't articulate it.
2) He should be charming, intellegent and funny--but should know not to hide behind humour.
3) He should be kind to people and to animals and be able to intuit what a situation needs.
4) It goes without saying that he should be well-read, with an excellent vocabulary and a repertoire of literary allusions.
5) Actually the most important point of all: he should love me and need me, but not be needy, he should make me feel appreciated and appreciative.
6) He should be someone of independant means--but not on either the very rich or very poor extreme.
7) Also, he should have an independant lifestyle, not being too dependant on his parents or his friends or on me to provide what he lacks.
8) He should be able to understand that my job is demanding--that it leaves me with only so much free time and not whine about it.
9) And yeah, location-wise, preferably he should live somewhere that's not too out of the way.
10) Hmmm.. I think I've got it pretty much covered.. oh wait! He should know that while I like spending alone time with him, I am, by nature, a social creature and need to go out with the people I care about at least once a week, preferably with him.
11) And how could I forget--he should be a really good kisser too :)
I think eleven is about all the universe can handle now! It's a pretty hefty request I know, but I have great faith in these visualisation exercises (you better be right, damn Astrology.com!). Of course, if any of you know anyone who you think fits the bill, send 'em along, okay? : )
I think I'm ready to get back in the game, baby. Wish me luck.