1. Age 13, December 1994--my "disco" themed birthday: Got a sound system and strobe lights and decked out my entire living room like a disco. I wore a tube skirt and a white top with a black crochet vest and a silver belt around my waist. I called about 20 people from school, we had dinner and danced and best of all, I got Canada Dry (that ginger ale) for drinks, so we could pretend we were drinking beer and feel very grown up.
2. Age 22, December 2003--This birthday stands out because I! GOT! A! CAR! Best birthday present of all time. I can't remember what I did with the day, but I do remember driving everywhere and leaving the plastic on for ages.
3. Age 25, December 2006-- Combination birthday/leaving do from Delhi. This just stands out because there were lots and lots of people and so much nostalgia/sentimentality. It makes me all awwww even thinking about it.
4. Age 3 or 4, December 1984/85--Got a Hansel and Gretel cake designed for my birthday (An aside: I always wanted a very elaborately shaped cake and so my mum and I would together design it and take it in to Nirula's which did a good job. The other day, I go to Nirula's and I'm flipping through their cake book and oh. my. god! There are all my cakes passing off as Nirula's designs! Can you sue for cake plagiarism?) This was a big deal, because I was terrified of the witch and in a moment of birthday triumph, I grabbed her marzipan figure and bit off her head. Ha-ha. So there, witch!
5. Age 19, December 2001--I was in college for this birthday and my friend and I had a joint do at her house. It was my first experience with organising a party completely unassisted by my parents (even though she did the organising, being much better at it. I just followed orders.) Also, this was the year I was introduced to the marvel of cellphone technology, having received my first phone from the 'rents--a beautiful, purple, Motorola Talkabout. (This year, I have asked for a new cellphone again, going for the HTC Tattoo.)
Ah, good times. This year, we do a poolside brunch (the nice thing about living in a city with summer all year round). And JC is back tomorrow, ending our long separation and life. is. good.