My latest book is The One Who Swam With The Fishes.
"A mesmerizing account of the well-known story of Matsyagandha ... and her transformation from fisherman’s daughter to Satyavati, Santanu’s royal consort and the Mother/Progenitor of the Kuru clan." - Hindustan Times
"Themes of fate, morality and power overlay a subtle and essential feminism to make this lyrical book a must-read. If this is Madhavan’s first book in the Girls from the Mahabharata series, there is much to look forward to in the months to come." - Open Magazine
"A gleeful dollop of Blytonian magic ... Reddy Madhavan is also able to tackle some fairly sensitive subjects such as identity, the love of and karmic ties with parents, adoption, the first sexual encounter, loneliness, and my favourite, feminist rage." - Scroll
Sign up for my newsletter: The Internet Personified
9 October 2005
Let's Talk About Sex
a) Sex always, invariably, at some level or another, screws things up.
b) Sex in real life never lives up to the picture you had in your head. It can't.
c) It's better to have sex with someone you like as a person as opposed to someone you fancy the pants off but don't know the first thing about them. Trust me on this one. It holds the key to waking up the next morning feeling like shit.
But you're going to have sex anyway. Of course. What else were we built for if not to copulate? It's all good baby. Calm yourself and remember these things about the boys.
1)If you can smell him, don't screw him. (Caveat: by `smell' I mean body odour of any sort, like sweat. Even if it's clean sweat, gross. It's called deodarant. Use it. Not if he smells subtly sexy of some gorgeous cologne. Go with the cologne-smelling guy. He just shaved for this party)
2) Figure out very early on if you're a boxers or briefs person. It may sound like no big deal, but trust me you don't want to realise you have a phobia when the guy's stripped down to his chaddis.
3) You can tell a lot about his *ahem* other talents by the way he kisses. It's not that hard to guess. Use the rule of tongue judgment. ;)
4) Some things will NOT make for an effective session. Are you quiet and is he noisy in bed? Does he hate the post coital cigarette? Does he wear polyester socks with an argyle pattern which he rolls up and puts into his shoes? NOOOOOOOOOO. Don't sleep with him.
5) When setting the scene and when you're going out for dinner, choose pizza. Not tandoori chicken, not seekh kebab rolls. Even if you're okay and minty fresh, ew, imagine having Onion Breath murmuring sweet nothings into your ears.
6) Don't use up all your best moves in one go.You need a trump card. You'll know it's effective if you get sharp indrawn breath (if he's a quiet person) or 'Oh baby' (if he's the type who talks.
7) Own your own body. Then own his.
8) Know that this could end in an hour. He could just put on his shoes and leave and never call you. Be okay with having to look in the mirror the next morning and feeling like a slut.You're not.
There, I think that's about all I can think of for now. Boys, separate list for you later :)
Time to get ready for my housewarming party! Woo-hoo!