Why I love The Sound Of Music:
1) High on a hill was a lonely goatherd, lay odeley odelay-ee-oo.
2) Playclothes! With curtains!
3) The bit when he's all getting a crush on her and she looks sort of haughty and stands up to him and then he smiles and man, Christopher Plummer is a HOTTIE. What other movies has he done? Is he dead? Can I have his babies? (the haughty hottie. mmmmmmmm)
4) The totally sexist bits where Liesl and Rolfe are getting it on and he's all like, "I'll take care of you." Can you imagine this song being sung in the 21st century? (Okay, not quite a reason to love the movie but in its old values it's somehow charming)
5) The way the nuns all bitch about Maria, but they do it so musically that you almost wish that they'd call you a moonbeam too.
6) Discovering that as an adult I like different parts from when I was a kid. For instance, none of us (except my mom) very clearly remembered the Nazi bit. After the wedding everything seemed sorta blurry. And I always thought the Nazis wanted to kill Captain Von Trapp not make him join them which confused me later coz if she's coming from a convent, how come he's Jewish?
7) Tea, a drink with jam and bread! And that will bring us back to do-oh-oh.
8) Oh and the Baroness. I totally felt sorry for her. Even though she made Maria leave the first time. She loved Georg! Awww.
9) Christopher Plummer is HOT. Have I already said that? Damn.
10) There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeeeeeeeeeple too! And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say (everybody!) CUCKOO!
We wondered last night whether boys had seen the movie too, whether it was as seminal a classic to them as it was to us. I voted yes, but the other two weren't entirely sure.
- eM hates to go and leave this pretty si-ight.