Reasons why being a grown-up is so much more fun than they told you it would be
1) Because you can drive. And I'm sorry, anyone who has crossed the age of 18 and has access to a car and who DOES NOT drive is a big fat baby who doesn't know what he/she is missing. It's incredible, driving. I mean it. Never have I felt so in control, never do I feel more like a diva, like someone with sparkles, as when I am driving. Plus, little girls hang out of school buses and vans and look at me with the same look I gave the big glamorous girls who drove when I was a little kid.
2) Because "Because I can" suddenly becomes a viable excuse. I've never had to argue so little in my life! Because I am a grown-up I simply state and no one can take that away from me. State, state-a-tate-tate.
3) Because I can buy my own clothes. And dude, if your mother paid for your clothes all your life, you'd know the agony of this. "Do you really need that?" she'd ask, when I'd look longingly at some creation that would probably look fabulous on me, and "Isn't that a little skimpy?" She'd put doubts in my mind, so even if I fought and bought something I'd have to wear it for the REST OF MY LIFE just to show that I was using it, yes, and I still loved it, and no, it wasn't a waste of money. Now I buy tank tops by the armload and tight t-shirts and fitted jeans and no one says a word because it's my money. Yay, me!
4) Because I can use words like "relationship" and "commitment" without sounding like someone out of Sweet Valley High. Really. You have to be beyond 21 to be able to say that with panache. Before that people just look at you with this "Oh you poor innocent" expression on their faces.
5) And ooh, because suddenly school and college are far enough away in my past for me to say, "Dude, I haven't done that since college" and no one blinks and says, "Um.. didn't you graduate yesterday?" Well, okay, so people still blink, but that's only coz I look younger than I am.
The top five cool things about being ill
1) My skin has cleared up
2) My hair is shiny
3) I look "rested"
4) I am my skinniest, ever
5) I've managed to watch a TON of movies I've been meaning to on TV
As you can no doubt tell, I'm feeling fine. I'm feeling on top of the world. My energy is back with a bang, I have been swamped in social engagements and fun work assignments and I've been for a play so I feel all cultural (even though the play itself was pretty bad. Starring an acquaintance of mine so I had to go) And tonight, baby, tonight I go to TC with Iggy and Seema and Boston Boy and I will claim it and make it my own again.
Even if He Who Shall Not Be Named will be there in all probability and now we are "friends", K and I which means he has the license to weep to me about his New Girl, who is tall and fair and has Lisa Loeb spectacles. Also a reputation for being quite promiscuous, but I'm not saying anything about that. Instead I am the wise, wry ex-girlfriend, with humour and sympathy who he calls with alarming regularity these days. I am the Sphinx, I am the Wise Woman, I am the Spirit Of The Earth... and it's so bloody cool.